Health Science (B.S.)
The Bachelor of Science in Health Science is designed as a fundamental health-related degree that will enable students to pursue a variety of careers related to our population's health status. Graduates will have the basic skills and knowledge needed to become an asset to the health care community. Students are encouraged to become nationally recognized certified health education specialists (CHES) through the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (www.nchec.org). They are also encouraged to advance their education at one of the Schools of Public Health in our nation (www.asph.org). There are a variety of opportunities for students majoring in Health Science. Possible career paths include:
- Medicine (Physician or Physician's Assistant)
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Environmental health
- Behavioral sciences - health education
- Health service administration
- Maternal and child health
- International - global health
- Community outreach
Students must understand that some allied health professions require additional certification or other designated criteria along with their educational degree in health science.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where are you located?
- What can I do with this degree?
- Can I take any health science courses online?
- Are internships and volunteer opportunities available in order to gain experience in the field of health science?
Where are you located?
The health science team is located in both the Lumpkin Center in suite 250 and the Health and Wellness Center.
What can I do with this degree?
There are a variety of opportunities for students majoring in Health Science. Possible career paths include:
- Environmental Health
- Behavioral Sciences
- Health Education
- Maternal and Child Health
- International-Global Health
- Community Outreach
- Health Communication & Marketing
- Pharmaceutical Sales
* Note: The Bachelor of Science in Health Science also provides students with the prerequisite courses, skills, and knowledge required to gain admission into graduate programs that focus on the following areas:
- Physician Assistant
- Physical or Occupational Therapy
- Health Service Administration
- and much more
Can I take any health science courses online?
Some online courses are available in order to accommodate students that may work or have other obligations that prevent them from attending a class in the more traditional method.
Are internships and volunteer opportunities available in order to gain experience in the field of health science?
Faculty members are always working with community partners to establish volunteer and intern relationships for students. Several opportunities to gain experience are offered throughout the year. In addition, students are able to take an internship course during their matriculation through the program if they maintain a grade point average of at least 2.8 or higher and maintain scholarly and professional character in order to represent the university in an excellent manner throughout the community.